Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Walter Scott dijo sobre Jane Austen...

Sir Walter Scott journal entry, March 14th 1826

Also read again, and for the third time at least, Miss Austen's very finely written novel of
Pride and Prejudice. That young lady had a talent for describing the involvement and feelings and characters of ordinary life which is to me the most wonderful I ever met with. The big Bow-wow strain I can do myself like any now going, but the exquisite touch which renders ordinary commonplace things and characters interesting from the truth of the description and the sentiment is denied to me. What a pity such a gifted creature died so early!


* * *

También he leído, de nuevo, y por tercera ver al menos, la novela muy elegantemente escrita por la señorita Austen “Orgullo y prejuicio”. Aquella joven dama tenía un talento para describir las relaciones de sentimientos y personajes de la vida ordinaria que es para mí lo más maravilloso con lo que alguna vez me haya encontrado [...], pero el exquisito toque con que representa lo ordinario, lo común, e interesantes personajes desde la verdad de la descripción y el sentimiento a mi me resulta imposible. ¡Qué pena que una criatura con tanto talento muriera tan pronto!

No comments: